Welcome to the Library!

Come, come! I have a very special story to tell! A fantastic one with pharoahs and a famous explorer named Alexander the Great. Shhhhhh! Listen! We are in 290 BC. The Library of Alexandria is under-consruction. This is her story...

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Library Trend

After the Library of Alexandria had become a site to visit, a city in Asia Minor called Pergammun wanted to open a library itself. (Come on! Does everyone copy in the 3rd century?) They ordered tons of papyrus (again...rolled up pieces of paper...) and started to collect and write books. At one point, this library had about 1,000 more books than the library in Alexandria. (Gasp! More than 490,000 books. What packrats!) After Egypt heard this news, they stopped sending papyrus to Pergammun. (Some people think this town's real name is Pergamum. Either way, they're still copiers!) Egypt regained their record after cutting off its deal with Pergammun.

1 comment:

  1. Copy right infrigment! (I didn't spell that right did I?) Woah, that's a whole lot of books no? I really like how you put your own voice into it. (Side note: Yeah probably everyone copies)

    ReplyDelete